Today was my first no-babysitting, no-school day and it was… weird. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I got up, went for a run, sat around in sweaty clothes and watched crappy tv, cleaned the office, showered, did laundry, and watched more crappy tv. Why is all daytime tv about babies?? I must have watched 8 episodes of A Baby Story and 4 more of some show called Bringing Home Baby. I finally dragged myself out of the house at 4 for a couple of errands. Sports Authority for running gear (nada), Sam’s for produce and dinner stuff (more on that later) and then Target to see if they had better running clothes. I finally broke down and bought something that I’ve been dubious about for a long time: A Running Skirt. I see these at races all the time and they look comfy, so I’ll try it out tomorrow and see if I get heckled. It feels really… short. What’s the consensus on these?
I was all set to suggest going out for dinner, but while perusing Sam’s I saw some really huge portabella mushroom caps. Then I remembered that we had all of that leftover lump crab meat in our fridge. And dinner was born.
Here’s a really vague recipe- I didn’t measure anything! But it’s really good, so try it.
Crab Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
- Saute 1/2 chopped red onion and 2 minced garlic cloves in olive oil until onions are soft.
- Add chopped fresh basil and cook a couple more minutes. Add S&P.
- Put onion mixture in bowl and add lump crab meat. I have no idea how much I used- just eyeball it.
- Add about 1/2 C bread crumbs and 2 Tbs egg beaters. Stir.
- Stuff mixture into 2 large (or 4 small) mushroom caps. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5 minutes.
- Set oven to broil. Top mushrooms with marinara sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella. Put under broiler, uncovered, until cheese is bubbly.
And yes, I ate an entire GIANT mushroom cap. And then I made a blueberry cobbler/crisp thing with some close-to-going-bad blueberries. I ate that too…
…WITH ice cream.
Tomorrow I have to be up bright and early… 5:15! I’ve decided to finally commit to running my first full marathon this year (White Rock Marathon- December 14!) and I’m meeting friends at the track in the morning to do speedwork. I haven’t done 400′s since high school so this should be interesting. And by interesting, I mean very, very sad.