Patch-EWW-li

So this afternoon I headed to Whole Foods for a couple of dinner ingredients and to see if they had the sacred PB Larabars (NO). Here’s what I walked out with:

• Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas
  • Bear Naked Heavenly Chocolate Granola
  • PB Puffins
  • Squash
  • Zucchini
  • Cedar’s Garlic & Artichoke Salsa
  • Raspberries
  • Black Beans
  • Z Bars (Brownie) & Larabars (Cashew and Jocolat)
  • Chobani
  • Annie’s Dressings- Goddess & Woodstock
  • Smoked Salmon

On the way home I had this for a snack:

The Chocolate Cherry Jocolat Larabar. This was really good! I was surprised by how tart it was- you can definitely taste the dried cherries. My only complaint was that I ate it too fast. Next time I want to try the Chocolate Orange flavor.

After I got home from WF and started unloading groceries, I couldn’t stop smelling patchouli. It was bizarre.
I do not own anything even remotely patchouli scented, but I realized my hands smelled really strongly of the stuff. I didn’t go near the health and beauty section, so all I can figure out is that maybe whoever used the handbasket before me was doused in essential oils. It was so strong that when Brian came in from work, the first thing he said was, “YOU STINK, HIPPIE!” And then he asked if I had been hanging out with gypsies.

OH- I also happened to run into Joy at WF (’cause that’s where all the cool kids hang out) and she’s letting me borrow the final vampire book, Breaking Dawn! I just finished the 3rd book this morning and am really excited that I don’t have to sneak out to Target tonight to score the 4th.

For dinner I made up a casserole that turned out amazingly, if I do say so myself. Here’s a shot of the sauteed veggies:

And the final product:

Mexican Quinoa Casserole

• 4 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 Tbs lime juice
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 Tbs minced garlic
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • 1 can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • Tabasco (optional; I used the Chipotle flavor)
  • Reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese- maybe 1 cup?

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic, red pepper, zucchini and squash to pan. Add salt and cumin and sautee until vegetables are soft (approx 10 min). Add drained diced tomatoes and heat through. Add a few shakes of tabasco, if using.

Add lime juice to quinoa and stir.

Spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Add quinoa to bottom of dish and press flat with back of spoon. Layer drained black beans on top of quinoa. Spoon veggie mixture on top of beans, and sprinkle cheddar over the veggies to cover. Place lid on casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Straight out of the oven:

We ended up topping this with salsa, plain yogurt, cilantro and guacamole… I ate it with baked tortilla chips, but it would be great in a burrito, too (lunch tomorrow?).

Oh, almost forgot: Target had these cute little hundred calorie packs of guacamole!

They come three to a box, and each packet has 100 cal, 8 g fat and 4 g fiber. They’re pretty substantial, so Brian and I split one for our casserole topping.

Training Update: This morning I ran 5 miles at the lake, alternating 2 minutes of sprinting with 2 minutes of running/jogging. It was SOOO windy… and I saw a squirrel eating half of a full size Hershey bar. Too bad I don’t run with a camera.

Off to try to scrub off the patchouli stink and then read about teenaged vampires. Don’t be jealous.

This entry was posted in September 2008 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Patch-EWW-li

1. Christie says:

Ohh man that casserole looks so good I will def have to try it… not sure if you made the Quinoa because of the Secret Blogger ingredient or because you just wanted to make it but I am loving that recipe!

2. eatingbender says:

OMG!!! I am SO thrilled to find someone who reads the Twilight series!! I just finished Twilight and am now in love!! It’s my new Harry Potter :)

Thanks for the review of the Jocolat…I have yet to try that one!

YUM! That casserole looks amazing – and thanks for sharing where you found those guac packets – I’ve been looking for them everywhere BUT Target, so I will head there next!

3. HangryPants says:

Yay! Like Christie said, quinoa is the blogger secret ingredient! Looks great. :)

I just bought a Jocolat Chocolate Orange Larabar yesterday and I can’t wait to try it – I love orange & chocolate combos. The best thing is a chocolate covered candied orange peel – mmmmm!! That casserole looks so good – I love dishes that include lots of veggies.

5. yet another Heather says:

Hey Heather,

I don’t know if they have Trader Joe’s in your area, but that’s where I was able to find the elusive Peanut Butter Larabar.

P.S. I hope you enjoy Breaking Dawn. I read the entire thing in one night while my boyfriend wondered what happened to his girlfriend.

I just picked up that chocolate cherry larabar, gives me something to look forward to!! Yummy-looking casserole :)

7. heatherwlu says:

Heather (Hangry) & Christie- What is this blogger secret ingredient you speak of??? I had no idea.

Yet Another Heather- Nope, no TJ’s here :( I guess WF has the market cornered. Sad. I got about 100 pgs into Breaking Dawn last night. It’s so hard to put down!

8. Christie says:

Heather: check my blog from a couple days back I suggested we try to do a new thing in blog world where each week you use a secret ingredient to add variety to cooking. I picked it this week to be Quinoa and I will nominate the next person to pick it for next week and than you try to use to food iin that week during cooking, and maybe add something you learned about the food or some nutritional info!

9. rhodeygirltests says:

yum this looks great!! i could make something similar wiht my leftover autumn zucchini!!

10. That casserole looks delicious!

I need to try that Chocolate Orange Larabar. I love how nicely chocolate and orange pair together!

11. Quinn says:

Your Whole Foods has Wholly Guacamole???? I’ve been looking everywhere for it! Was it in the refrigerated section? Or tortilla chip/salsa area?

Love that you got PB Puffins. Best breakfast/dessert/topping ever.

12. heatherwlu says:

Quinn- I actually found the guac at Super Target in the produce section… I don’t think our WF carries it either.

13. Erica says:

totally taking that recipe and makin it- looks delicious!