Brian and I have been trying to eat at home more- both to save $ and because it’s healthier. We actually have a ton of food in the pantry/freezer, and it’s kind of fun to try and figure out what we can throw together. Tonight I made a baked ziti-type dish using:
- Whole Wheat Rotini
- Mushroom Pasta Sauce (Barilla)
- MSF Soy Crumbles
- Laughing Cow Light Wedges
- Red Pepper, chopped
- Baby Spinach (1/2 bag)
- Chopped Garlic
I didn’t really measure anything…
1. Preheat oven to 350, and boil rotini until al dente.
2. Heat about a tsp of olive oil in a skillet. Saute red pepper in oil for a few minutes. Add baby spinach and garlic and cook until spinach starts to wilt. Add soy crumbles and cook until thawed.
3. Put spinach mixture in a large bowl and add pasta sauce and 3 Laughing Cow wedges. Stir until cheese melts. Add pasta and mix well.
4. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread pasta mixture in dish. Top with mozzarella and bake 20-30 minutes, until cheese is melted.
And on my plate…
On the side is just some steamed broccoli. I made a sauce of Brummel & Brown, lemon juice, white wine, capers and dill to go on top. YUM.
Okay- I have a secret to share with you guys. You may have noticed that I only include pictures of my right hand, never the left. Well, don’t laugh at me… but it’s because my left hand is GIGANTIC.
Oh the shame. Look at how I dwarf this bunch of bananas:
OOOOH, I crack myself up! I’m actually in the midst of a very top secret baking project right now and needed 2 ripe bananas. Well let me tell you right now: if you don’t have ripe ‘naners at home already then you’re pretty much screwed, my friend. I found this out the hard way tonight at the grocery store. All of the standard bananas were grass-green. I debated substituting plantains (nah, not really) but then lo and behold, Albertson’s had these little monsters: mini bananas. I figure it probably takes the entire bunch to equal 2 mediums, but at least they’re ripe!
So you’ll have to wait until tomorrow for details on the baking project, but here’s another little teaser:
Loves me some butterscotch…