It's a Cupcake Weekend

I feel like I have so much to post about, but I’m kind of wanting to get in bed right now with a library book (The Year of Eating Dangerously by Tom Parker-Bowles)… so please excuse any typos!!

**Friday**

Brian’s Mom, Kathy, stayed with us Thursday and Friday nights. I couldn’t mention it in Thursday’s post because she flew in to surprise Brian’s sister, Maggie, with a baby shower (our third niece, Samantha, is due in November!). Friday evening we introduced her to one of my faaaavorite fall rituals: The Texas State Fair!

Meet Big Tex:

The best part of the fair is seeing what new foods they’ve come up with each year. This year the hits were: Chicken Fried Bacon (yikes), Fried Jelly Beans, Deep Fried Grilled Cheese, Fried S’mores, and Fried PB & J. We didn’t try any of these, sadly. Or not.

For dinner, Brian ordered the fried ribs. I had a bite- they were surprisingly good! They’re kind of buried under the fries here:

I had a Jerk Chicken Sandwich. I LOVE Coco Bread… mmm:

And Kathy had a TX favorite, Frito Pie:

Not pictured: Jack’s Fries (with vinegar- yum), a Fletcher’s Corn Dog and an Apple Streudel.

Yeah, I was feeling a little gross afterwards… but we probably walked it off, right? RIGHT??

The 2nd best part of the fair? The petting zoo. This little tail looks familiar…

Hmmm. I wonder why…?

They sounds alike, too. Snort Snort.

**Saturday**

We headed out to Southlake/Keller for the baby shower. Can you guess what my culinary contribution was?

Cupcakes. Duh. Meet the one-trick pony, folks.

They’re the plain old Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Birthday Cake recipe (my standby), along with Vanilla Buttercream frosting. The butterflies and flowers are cut from rolled fondant. Michael’s had these little tubes called Fondant Writers and I’m kind of obsessed. They have a narrow tip that lets you pipe out fondant detail- that’s what I used to decorate the butterflies and on the center of some of the larger flowers. The fondant comes out shiny but then dries to a matte finish in a few minutes. SO EASY.

Saturday night we headed to a BBQ at the May’s and then to a Stock the Bar Shower for one of Brian’s friends from law school. We got home at 11:30, which was a BAD thing because…

**SUNDAY**

I had to get up at 5 this morning to meet my running buddies for our distance run: 13 miles this week! That’s the furthest I’ve run since my half-marathon 2 years ago. I’m not going to lie- it was pretty awful. The first 9 miles were great, but by mile 12 my legs felt like concrete. I’m blaming lack of sleep, too much wine on Saturday night, and eating junk all weekend. My time was 2 hrs, 3 min. Not so hot. Y’all remind me of this next weekend, okay? No wine. Lots of sleep. Healthy food. No fried ribs. Anyway, I crawled home afterwards and Chloe and I passed out for, oh, 3 hours.

Tonight was Robert’s b-day so we headed over to the Wallace’s for ANOTHER suprise party (this weekend was quite celebratory, eh?). Lauren commissioned some cupcakes and told me that Robert liked Mint Chocolate Chip. Sooo I just used the Magnolia Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake recipe, but substituted about 1 1/2 tsp of mint extract for the vanilla and added 3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. The frosting was inspired by this recipe:

Mint Buttercream Frosting

• 2 sticks Unsalted Butter
  • 1/2 c Skim Milk
  • 7 cups Powdered Sugar
  • 3/4 tsp Mint Extract
  • Green Food coloring

Cream the butter in a mixer. Add milk and mint extract. Add powdered sugar gradually and mix until desired consistency. Add 3-5 drops of food coloring.

Et voila:

Target had Mini Andes Mint chips- so I sprinkled some on top.

Off to crack open my book… hope everyone had a great weekend :)

Survey Question: In my food prep class, we went around the room and talked about what we ate while growing up. What’s one food that reminds you of your childhood?

Mine is weird- Viva Italian Dressing. My mom put it on EVERYTHING! Pasta, cooked veggies, tuna…

This entry was posted in September 2008 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to It's a Cupcake Weekend

ooh, such pretty cupcakes!! hmm, childhood food? maybe this stir-fry my mom always made. but that’s b/c i still get teased for picking out ALL the peppers and onions and forming a ring around the plate… don’t worry, i don’t do that anymore :)

What a great weekend. Congrats on the run, you go girl!!!
    A food that reminds me of my childhood would have to be PB & J. I hated meat (not that I am crazy about it now) so that was my source of protein as a kid and it still is. Happy Monday!

3. klemons says:

Banana chips remind me of my childhood and spaghetti and shells (no sauce) because I used to eat everything plain.

Your cupcakes look AMAZING!

4. maggieb says:

A food that reminds me of my childhood would have to be…Little Debbie snack cakes. I think for years those were the main staple in our house for desserts. I still love Zebra Cakes to this day. And you can’t beat a good Star Crunch. Thanks for the great cupcakes and all your help at my shower (surprise #1 of the weekend). Just so everyone knows who hasn’t tasted her cupcakes…they taste as good as they look!

Fair food…mmm. Those cupcakes look delicious.

6. rhodeygirltests says:

so many foods remind me of my childhood… pasta with tuna, tomato sauce, and capers…. kit kats… salmon baking in the oven… ground meat sauce (for our bechamel lasagna)… roasted chicken. i guess lots of stuff haha.

7. Christie says:

Beautiful cupcakes. And at least you finished the 13 miles… one food that reminds me of childhood is fried chicken cutlets… my mom made them all the time!

8. Ange C. says:

Hi there! Just saying hello…work has been too busy, but i’ve been reading as i can….your PR recap is awesome…LeAnn was trying to be soo gangsta, that it totally cracked me up! She even had hand signs! Good episode this week.

Childhood food: My grandma’s spaghetti! She’d cook it every sunday and the entire fam (40 of us!) would go to my grandparents and i’d eat like 3 HUGE bowls of it. Makes my mouth water! Good question…thx for the trip down memory lane. ;)

My childhood food would be one of two things:

1. Hamsteak. Mom had about 30 dinners on rotation growing up, so when she planned dinners for the week, we could refer to each by a specific name and know what we were getting. My name for Hamsteak was “The stuff with the mustard”, as it was flavored with mustard and garnished with pineapple.

2. Pancakes in shapes. My dad used to be the breakfast chef in our house and would often make pancakes. He would shape the pancakes according to the nearest holiday or event. Think Christmas trees, bunnies, etc. Sometimes he would get lazy and make soccer balls, Christmas ball ornaments, or other circular objects…

10. I can only imagine that the Texas State Fair is quite an event! Your cupcakes look so good!

About sending cookies in the mail – one or two days regular mail always works. They don’t get stale that fast and if you pack the box tightly, they won’t break.

11. eatingbender says:

Wow, the Texas State Fair sounds like a blast! It totally reminds me of the good ol’ Minnesota State Fair, which has similar dining experiences :)

Those cupcakes are seriously spectacular! You have mad skills!

My favorite food growing up = OREOS!! Or Chewy Chips Ahoy cookies!

12. Andrea says:

Heather,
    Even though you’re a fellow pug owner and crazy funny, I’ve been avoiding reading your blog on a regular basis because it kinda makes me homesick – especially this post because I actually graduated from Keller HS so to hear you mention Keller/Southlake was really weird. But, I can resist no longer. You’re officially going in my google reader :)
    You didn’t eat any funnel cake at the fair?! I can’t find funnel cake here in Oregon – they have these things called elephant ears instead, but it’s just not the same.

13. heatherwlu says:

Hi Andrea! I love your blog, too :) Sadly, no funnel cake… but I’m going to say that there is a good chance that we’ll be going BACK to the fair before it closes- I feel like there was a lot that we missed.
    I can’t believe you went to Keller HS! Have you been to Southlake lately? That town center is insane… we just went for the first time. It has EVERYTHING!

14. I haven’t been back to Southlake for awhile. My parents live in Lewisville now. I was in high school when all of 377 started to get developed. For years it was just a crapply two lane highway. My Mom works for Talbots and actually opened the store at the town center years ago and then briefly went back to work there a couple years ago. Every time I go back to Dallas I’m amazed at how much things change!

15. Pingback: Playdate « Heather Bakes