And 15 Episodes of True Life Later…

Most of today was spent in the fetal position on the couch with MTV. Hey, that’s an accomplishment… it took 15 minutes to talk myself out of bed. I didn’t know it was possible to be this sore. But thanks to all of you for your sweet messages today!

Needless to say, comfort food was in order… so what better breakfast than oatmeal?

No bananas, so this concoction consisted of a finely chopped apple (cooked with the oats), almond butter, slivered almonds, and dried cherries.

oats

Today I was starving all day long. I would eat and then 15 minutes later be snacky again. Lunch was a can of Amy’s Butternut Squash Soup that’s been sitting in the pantry for a while:

soup1

Along with leftover chicken & mushroom pizza:

pizza1

The soup was okay. It was almost tasteless straight from the can (therein lies the problem with low-sodium soups), but pretty decent once I added a crapload of salt and a good amount of curry powder.

Guess what? Dallas is having ANOTHER freeze tonight! Crazy, especially since it was pushing 80 yesterday. I ran in Target… okay, I was in there an hour… and when I came outside my car was covered in ice. Brrr. So what’s the perfect cold weather meal? Besides Tex-Mex?

CHILI!

This is the best vegetarian chili ever. It’s based on a Cooking Light recipe that I tweaked a bit.

Heather’s Kickass Veggie Chili (That Doesn’t Taste Like Veggie Chili)

• 1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
  • 12 oz Can Spicy V8
  • 1 1/2 Tbs Chili Powder
  • 1 Tbs Brown Sugar
  • 1 tsp Cocoa Powder
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • Salt, Pepper, Chipotle Tabasco, Liquid Smoke, whathaveyou- to taste

Heat oil in dutch oven. Add garlic, onion and peppers and saute until soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes. Serve.

Easy, right?

And what goes better with chili than cornbread? Nothing, I tell you. Except maybe Fritos. I did a little variation on classic cornbread by adding 1/2 can cream-style corn, a can of green chilies and some shredded cheddar to a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

Voila:

chili

Even Chloe dressed for the weather in her little penguin tee. Awww.

chloeshirt1

chloeshirt2

Hope everyone had a happy Monday! Can you believe that Christmas is next week?? Which leads us to…

*Survey Time*

Are you done with all of your Christmas shopping?

Me? That’s a negative, ghostrider.

This entry was posted in December 2008 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to And 15 Episodes of True Life Later…

1. Melissa S. says:

nope, barely started the christmas shopping. dangit.

2. eatingbender says:

Chloe is SO adorable! I love that t-shirt!

I actually AM done with my shopping – and I can’t believe myself. I am usually last minute, so it’s really a first!

As of today, I am completely done with my Christmas shopping…but more importantly, I’m all about your veggie chili!

Your Chili recipe sounds awesome – I love the addition of cocoa powder.
    I am so happy to be done. We kept it pretty easy this year so I got very lucky.
    Chloe is adorable – any news on her surgery??

I’m all done with my shopping. I still have to do my big sis duties and shop with my little brother. We always make such a fun play day out of it. We’re hitting up Northpark on Friday. I hope it’s as quiet as it was last Friday.

You poor thing! I’m so glad you took it easy. Is your whole body sore? I can’t even imagine. Your chili looks great. I think the fritos and chili combo is hilarious. I’d never heard of that until I moved here!
    I LOVE CHLOE!

mmm, chili and cornbread :) i think all of my xmas shopping is done… :)

Hope you’re resting up :)

Look at Chloe! oh my, the cuteness factor raises even higher than before.

I love Amy’s soups. They’re always there when you need them.

For all those who have asked, we received the biopsy results on Chloe’s surgery. It appears the growth removed was some sort of inflamation and shows no signs of malignancy. Very good news.

BTW – The way Chloe wears her T-shirt so low around her shoulders, doesn’t it look like she’s auditioning for a role in Fame? Very 80′s.

Brian, thanks for the Chloe update. I was so wondering but was afraid to ask. Thank goodness she is ok.
    Heather, that chili sounds fantastic. I am so making it. I can’t .get .warm. Glad you are taking it easy after the big run.

Finished Christmas shopping? (giggles hysterically) um no. Christmas cards out? um no.

12. Runeatrepeat says:

Heather!!! I just read your race report! Congratulations! You rocked it! Great job, I am super proud of you :)
    Now just concentrate on taking care of yourself, rest up!

13. HangryPants says:

Nope, not done shopping.

I love Chloe’s outfit! She seems to be enjoying it, too!

Also, thanks for the chilli recipe. I could eat chilli everyday and I need some new variations.

Your dog is the cutest thing ever!

15. Pingback: Grab Your Umbrella « Heather Bakes