It's Cookie Time, It's Cookie Time…

It’s cookie tii-iime!

Troop Beverly Hills: Best. Movie. Ever.

Anyway, so yes- it was in fact cookie time in the HeatherBakes household today. But first…

**SNOW**

Imagine my surprise this morning to wake up and see this:

house

View from our house:

street

Pretty, right? You East Coasters/Midwesterners (and even West Texans) are probably rolling your eyes right now. But we NEVER get snow. In honor of the occasion, Chloe and I headed over to visit the May family. Chloe’s not a fan of snow, but she is a fan of small children. Like sometimes too much of a fan. Here she is playing with Molly:

chloemolly

LOVE the pink ensemble. Especially the hat.

pink

Gabe wasn’t sure what to make of the white stuff. He did try to eat his mitten, though:

gabe

Back to the cookies. I tried out a couple of recipes for Christmas gifts. The first was for Dark-Chocolate-Ginger Crinkles from the December/January issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray.

crinkles

These were SUPER easy and turned out great. The crystallized ginger adds just a hint of spice. Cinnamon probably would have worked well, too. I should have used more powdered sugar… it kind of dissolves as they bake.

The second recipe- for Monster Cookies- started with a major brain fart for me. First lesson of cooking? Mise en place. Measure and lay out all of your ingredients before you start. Because you know what happens if you don’t? You forget the butter. And then you end up with mounds:

nobutter

Instead of cookies:

butter

Butter is kind of imperative if you want your cookies to actually spread. Luckily this was a Paula Deen recipe, and you know my girl Paula made sure there was LOTS and LOTS of fat in it. Like 12 oz of peanut butter in addition to the stick of plain butter. So the butter-free cookies actually taste just fine. If you’re looking for an easy holiday cookie, I would highly recommend this recipe- and you can find it here. How can you go wrong with oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chips, raisins AND M&M’s?? You can’t.

And finally, I will leave you with an illustration of how Chloe and Piper spent most of their snow day:

cp

*SURVEY TIME*

Favorite 80′s movie?

Oh gosh, this is a hard one. Troop Beverly Hills, of course. Howard the Duck, PeeWee’s Big Adventure, Overboard, Steel Magnolias, Beetlejuice… and the list goes on…

This entry was posted in December 2008 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to It's Cookie Time, It's Cookie Time…

1. SallyAnn says:

This is such a toughie as there are so many great 80′s movies. Umm, it is hard to beat “Troop Beverly Hills” and “Overboard.” So I will go with another Shelley Long and another Goldie Hawn movie. Shelley Long is super hilarious in “Hello Again.” And for Goldie, I LOVE “Bird on a Wire.” She and Mel Gibson (pre-insanity/meltdown) are amazing.

HE PERMED ME!
    It’s miss-ing a beeaaddd…
    The most important thing is having friends…especially friends with money!

P.S. I’m totally rolling my eyes ;)

Meatballs!! The hot dog contest alone is funny in a gross kind of way.

mmmm… cookies. both varieties look delicious.

Say Anything. Hands down.

Has anyone seen Midnight Madness (1980) with a super young Michael J. Fox? My brother and I LOVE that movie, but for some reason it makes my best friends’ brains sad :)

7. Melissa S. says:

mmmm…that cookie looks great!

anything w/ john cusack (sp?). he was so cute!

8. yet another Heather says:

I could wax poetic on 80′s movies all day. Absolute favorites are:
    Say Anything

The Lost Boys (that Keefer sure could rock a mullet)

Steel Magnolias (“The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.”)

River’s Edge (Little seen movie. Crispin Glover at his best)

9. Jess says:

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

How could no one have said that already??

I grew up with a few great 80s movies.

1. The Explorers (1985) – starring Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix. Three kids build a space ship and meet aliens with whom they have been conversing.

2. The Princess Bride (1987) – like everyone else my age, I obnoxiously know every word.

3. The Neverending Story (1984) – There is a huge white dog in our neighborhood that we affectionately refer to as the luck dragon.

4. Rad (1986) – It’s a BMX movie. What could be more 80′s?

5. Iron Eagle (1986) – There is nothing unbelievable about a 17 year old teenager teaming up with a retired jet fighter to fly a mission into the middle east to rescue his POW father. Absolutely nothing.

11. Heather says:

Say Anything, Moonstruck, Princess Bride, Steel Magnolias, Breakfast Club, Back to the Future. This is hard because there are so many good ones… and I love them ALL! (Sophie’s Choice was technically an 80s movie and that’s how I feel right now.)

I’m wishing I had a cookie now. thanks.

80′s movies – Goonies, ET, and my alltime favorite Beetlejuice. “Lydia, let me use this opportunity to teach you something……People whether they are dead or alive will walk all over you.”

My next life, I am coming back as a cat or pug.

13. Lisa P says:

OMG – I loved The Explorers, too (and didn’t know that anyone else remembered it!). My hubby would also be very sad if someone didn’t mention Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer.

14. HangryPants says:

I just love that movie!!!!

Love your cookies – butter free and all.

Oh and the one time I was ever in Texas – Dallas – Cotton Bowl – it snowed! I was like ughhh it’s supposed to be hot here!!!

I love When Harry Met Sally which I own on DVD and have seen a million times.

16. Victoria says:

I used to really love Some Kind of Wonderful. It was on TBS all the time and my brother and I would watch it constantly. The cookies look great!

17. Margie says:

Wow! You really did get a bunch of snow didn’t you!? We had some, but not like that!