Stuff It

Woohoo! I finished all of my practicals and lived to tell about it. All that’s between me and Spring break are 4 classes, 1 paper and 1 written exam. Nice.

This morning I had another bowl of oat bran before class. This time I added a bit more milk and cooked it in the microwave- the consistency turned out MUCH better than yesterday. With a chopped apple, almond butter, sliced almonds and honey:

applebran

The practical went well. My cream cheese strudel kind of split in the middle, but luckily we only plate and present a couple slices. I made a pomegranite coulis for drizzling and sprinkled the top with confectioners sugar. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a photo before my plate was graded (nerves!), so here it is with a little bite taken out:

chzstrudel

The souffles turned out really well! I just went with vanilla; a little boring, but it seemed to go best with the coulis.

vansouffle

For lunch I had some of last night’s leftover tempeh over brown rice:

leftempeh

Afterwards I ran to Sam’s Club with my mom and bought a ton of produce. Sam’s is the BEST if tend to you tear through fruits and veggies… and their magazines are super cheap, too. I came home with:

• GIANT tub of organic baby spinach (for only around $3.50!)
  • Blackberries
  • Grape Tomatoes
  • Goat Cheese
  • Bell Peppers
  • Sabra Hummus
  • Magazines: Gourmet and Shape

For some reason I felt a little creative tonight, so I played around and came up with a new recipe for dinner:

Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers

• 1.5 Cups Cooked Quinoa
  • 1.25 Lbs Lean Ground Turkey
  • 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
  • 2 tsp Olive Oil
  • 4 Cups Baby Spinach
  • ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/2 Cup Goat Cheese, Crumbled
  • 2-8oz Cans Tomato Sauce (I used roasted garlic flavor)
  • 1 Tbs Fresh Basil, Chopped
  • 6 Bell Peppers
  • Salt and Pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Heat skillet. Add turkey, garlic and onion and cook until turkey is browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and drain.

3. Add olive oil to pan and heat. Saute spinach and red pepper flakes until spinach wilts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain spinach.

4. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, ground turkey mixture, spinach, ¼ cup of the goat cheese, ½ cup of the tomato sauce and basil. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired (I added a little garlic powder and oregano). It should look like this:

turkeymix

5. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Slice the tops off of each of the bell peppers and remove seeds.

6. Stuff each pepper with turkey mixture and place in baking dish. With a spoon, make a small indentation in the top of each pepper and top with the remaining goat cheese.

pepperpan

7. Pour remaining tomato sauce on top of peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes. Serve.
YUM! The peppers still had a little bit of crunch to them, which was fine with me. I’ve seen a few stuffed pepper recipes that call for blanching the peppers first, so if you wanted them more tender then you could probably go with that.

pepperdone1

Here’s a cross section of the cooked pepper:
peppercross2

Off to fold laundry and read some of those new mags. I got the new Lucky in the mail today too :)

*Survey Time*

Favorite magazine?

This is supposing that everyone is obsessed with these as I am… it’s hard to choose a favorite. Lucky, Domino (RIP), Self, Runner’s World, and a myriad of cooking mags- Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Clean Eating, Veg Times, and I’m actually kind of digging the new Food Network magazine. It would be like picking a favorite child…

This entry was posted in March 2009 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Stuff It

ooh, i want some of your stuffed peppers :) they look fabulous!!

2. Andrea says:

I’m glad you’re knocking out your schoolwork! My favorite magazines are Sunset and VegNews. Sunset is like the Southern Living of the West Coast and makes me feel super adult.

I love stuffed peppers. It was always a favorite of mine as a kid. My Mom would top each of the Mexican inspired creations with a slice of pineapple. Mmm…

My favorite magazines are Gourmet, Bon Appetit, GQ, InStyle, Arcitectural Digest, US Weekly, People, etc… There are too many to list. I love them all!

I really like Self, Fitness, Runner World, Cooking Light, Eating Well, Everyday Food and probably a few that I am forgetting about. Once again you have my mouth watering from those dessert photos.
    Question for you: I tried goat cheese a long time ago and the taste made me think that I was licking the barn floor. I am kind of curious to try it again – I’m a glutton for punishment. Can you recommend a good brand that is won’t leave me gagging?

I really hate peppers, but I think I would eat that :)

In love with Cooking Light and Real Simple! And we get Entertainment Weekly for free, so that’s a nice guilty pleasure.

HB, that is one bee-u-tee-ful souffle. WOW! I love stuffed peppers too, so will definitely be making this recipe, love all the ingredients.

My favorite magazines are Bon Appetit, Gourmet and ANY gardening magazine. :)

7. Matt says:

It’s old school, but I still like Rolling Stone a lot. Plus, it is so much more convenient now that it is regularly sized as opposed to being 1.5 times bigger than everything else. I also like The Week which has a bit of everything (business, economics, politics, entertainment, etc).

8. Christina says:

Ah, all this magazine talk makes me miss living with Heather! I loved your magazine obsession–it meant there was always reading material at Pine Lane.
    My magazine reading has become really sad. My Grandmother bought me a subscription for Woman’s Day–not my favorite. what’s next-Redbook?

Yo I love your stuffed peppers. I love lots of magazines. Honestly, the only ones I don’t really like are “girl” ones like cosmo. Who talks like that or has practical need for the advice given?

10. Christina says:

oops– i meant Hook Lane, not Pine Lane (I’ve lived on too many lanes)