Playing Possum

One night about a week ago, Brian and I pulled into the driveway and saw what we thought was a cat ambling around our backyard. Once the headlights hit it, we realized that it was actually a GIANT POSSUM. The big guy has made at least 2 more appearances since. We mentioned it to our awesome next door neighbor and he is setting a trap for the possum tonight… in his backyard, though, so we don’t end up trapping a Chloe. That would be bad. The best part was when the neighbor told Brian, “Don’t you worry about those squirrels, either- I’m going to get them all.” Apparently he traps critters and then releases them in a park nearby. We only have about 5,000 squirrels in our yard so that’s totally doable.

In case you’ve never seen a possum, they look like this:

possum_1

Although if one makes that face at you, run like hell.

(Sorry, Brian made me post the photo).

This morning I was rushing around trying to get ready for class, so breakfast was quick: Ezekiel English Muffin with Cashew Butter and Cherry Preserves.

engmuf

In pastry we finished our potato-celery root strudel. SO YUMMY. The filling contained gruyere and mushrooms, too, along with the julienned veggie strips.

strudel

On the way home, I stopped off at Newflower for groceries and picked up this guy:

burrito1

An Amy’s Burrito, which I then had for lunch, along with some radishes and 2 clementines. Weird, I know. Just cleaning out the fridge.

burrito2

This afternoon I went for a run, then we walked to dinner at our little local seafood joint, Offshore’s Next Door. I had the crawfish etouffee with andouille sausage:

etouffee

SPICY!!

And now I’m getting ready to eat the best. dessert. ever. We made baklava in class, which was not at all difficult but just kind of a pain in the butt. There are 10 layers of phyllo, topped with the nut mixture, topped with more phyllo. The thing is, phyllo is kind of like working with damp, 1-ply toilet paper… and then you have to butter each layer, without tearing it. Anyway, back to the best. dessert. ever. I just remembered that we have honey frozen yogurt in the fridge! How good will that be with the baklava?? Amazing, I tell you.

baklava

Off to eat myself into a sugar coma.

I recently ran across this article in the Dallas Morning News. It’s about a restaurant that recently opened in the area, owned by a Cordon Bleu-trained chef and staffed by a CIA grad. The catch is that the restaurant features a “Pay What You Want” policy. No prices- there are envelopes on the table, and you just enclose whatever amount you think your meal was worth. So the survey question is: Do you think this could work? And if so, in what type of market?

This entry was posted in March 2009 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Playing Possum

Interesting concept…but probably risky in any type of market, you think?

I loved the article – thanks. I think that it is hard in this economy for something like this to work. A lot of people would probably take advantage of this generous offer. If the restaurant was located in an area with wealthy families, then I think it would stand a better chance of making money while offering such gourmet meals. Maybe offering food that is less fancy but still healthy, the restaurant would do better.
    I really think this would be a great idea for a small coffee shop/bakery. The cost to make your products would be less.

What do you think about Offshores? M and I drive by it all of the time. We talk about it, but never take action to actually eat there.

I know me. I’d probably overpay. M never lates me tally up the bill. He says that I’m an overtipper. He’s right. I don’t know why I do that.

4. Susan says:

I don’t think in would work in a “Rich-Rich” community, because their attitude would be: “You should be paying me to grace your restaurant with my presence, so thank you for the free meal”. The poor poor would leave as much as possible, but would not be enough to cover the cost. The middle of the road would be split. Some would pay the right amount, but the other half would steal.

P.S. The “Rich-Rich” attitude out-look has come from watching Real Housewives of New York, would you not agree, Heather?

It was too early in the morning for me to see a possum. Thanks, Brian!

That’s an interesting article – I’m not sure it would work but given the economy it’s certainly a nice idea.

6. Jill says:

Remember when we rescuded all those baby possums! haha they are so gross! Sorry I missed dinner..

7. Jill says:

That should say rescued… i’m having typing issues.

8. Christina says:

I can’t even think about the survey question–I’m still reeling from the possum pic. That was horrifying- give me photos of oatmeal and Chloe anytime!

9. Margie says:

So, where is Offshores? What’s the price point like?

10. heatherwlu says:

Eddie- I agree. Not sure if the article mentioned this or not (we discussed it in class yesterday), but apparently her cost per meal is around $8, and she’s bringing in an average of $7 per guest. So yeah, already in the red. But maybe the article will help. Publicity is always good.

Gammy & Margie- I do like Offshore’s. It’s a little pricey (my dad paid around $15 for 6 fried shrimp), but their cajun specialties (etouffee, gumbo, red beans & rice) are all really good… and the salads are impressive, too. It’s at the southeast corner of Walnut Hill & Audelia, next to the gas station- the location is small and kind of easy to miss.

Susan- I haven’t watched the NY Real Housewives, only OC!!

Jill- YES. We were just talking about that last night… and your dad’s “possum gloves”

Christina- Sorry!! No possum in WV?? We did have that gross bird in our house at Hook Lane- remember?

11. klemons says:

I think it could work in the long run if the owner can tough it out in the beginning – I also think everything about the eating experience would need to be above average to be profitable.

12. Andrea says:

We have possums in our neighborhood and we live in the city! We have to do possum checks before we let the puggies out at night because once we let them loose in the backyard and there was a mama and her babies – she wasn’t too happy with us. I’ve also seen one walking down our sidewalk in the middle of the day. That was pretty odd.
    I think the concept could work, but it would have to be a real foodie destination in order for people to find real value in the meal.

Woah possums are a lil’ freaky. I hope yours has a less freaked out face.

As for the article, I think it might work in a wealthy area or in a food focused place. Like Andrea said, it would probably take someone who loves food to pay for the value of food.

14. Heather says:

The thing is, that’s a pretty NICE looking little possum. Wait until they get bigger and crazier-eyed and snaggle-toothed! I am really scared of them. Don’t tell anybody.

I think the restaurant concept could work if you’re in a really food oriented town. And if your clientele are food people. Otherwise it would be a bust. And I’d be interested to know how the service staff get tipped out of that.

15. Christina says:

Heather–we do have possums in WV. I’ve hit a few with my car (accidentally, of course), but none have ever looked at me like that before. One hissed at me once–so, so gross.