Gougeres, Mon Cher

I was flipping through an issue of Bon Appetit last month and ran across this column from Molly Wizenberg. Ever since I’ve been dying to try the gougeres recipe. If you haven’t had a gougere before (and I hadn’t), they’re like mini handheld cheese souffles. Crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside… and oh so cheesy. They’re made from choux paste, the same batter/dough you use for eclairs. The recipe calls for gruyere, which I don’t care for (too much like swiss, which I loathe) so I used parmesan instead.

gougere1

So yummy! Especially with tomato soup. And pickles.

gougere2

They’re very fast and easy to make, and you could probably get away with using just one pot- but I was afraid of scratching my nonstick pan with the electric mixer.

Back to the weekend!

-FRIDAY-

Lent be damned, it was Steak Day in class. We started out with a grilled sirloin topped with chimichurri sauce:

sirloin

And then tournedos over croutons and seared pate foie gras with a madera sauce:

tournedo

Friday night we met Brian’s mom, sister and 2 of our nieces at Blue Mesa. I had the blue crab and shrimp enchiladas, per usual.

enchilada

The rest of Friday night was spent baking, assembling and decorating 52 cupcakes for a 1st birthday party. Vanilla cupcakes with chocolate buttercream, vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream, chocolate-buttermilk cupcakes with chocolate buttercream and chocolate-buttermilk cupcakes with vanilla buttercream:

cupcakepk1

cupcakepk2

cupcakebr1

cupcakebr2

Brian decorated the leftovers.

bricupcake

I’m particularly proud of the “FART” and boobies designs. Oh, and that’s a Ghostbusters symbol on the top right. But I’m sure you knew that.

-SATURDAY/SUNDAY-

We headed up to the lake Saturday afternoon, and I’m not going to lie: I ate crap the entire weekend. Here’s a little photo montage… try and reserve judgment, mmkay?

burger
eggs

chinese2

hotsour

Let’s just put this all behind us, shall we? Oh look, it’s Chloe!

chloe

Off to convert some recipes for class tomorrow; it’s CAKE WEEK! Oh, and yet another midterm on Tuesday. Hooray.

Oh, and I almost forgot! I’ll be heading back to New Orleans this weekend! My parents were invited to a wedding there but my dad can’t make it… so I’m my mom’s hot date. There were plenty of places we didn’t get around to trying last month, so look forward to lots of new photos/reviews this time around.

Favorite Easter candy?

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps!

This entry was posted in March 2009 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Gougeres, Mon Cher

1. Recipe man says:

great pics!!

cute dog too

2. Lisa P says:

You know I love Peeps, too (have some purple ones on the counter right now)…but I also love Cadbury Creme Eggs. I just don’t understand why some people think they’re gross…

3. Jess says:

MINI Cadbury eggs!

My favorite are the Reeces Peanut Butter eggs and Jordan Almonds. Oh, I do love me some Easter candy!

I used to LOVE Milka eggs! Haven’t yet found a vegan replacement…suggestions?

ooh, i just saw a recipe for goat cheese gougeres on eggs on sunday that i have to try :) funny they had steak day on a friday during lent! easter candy? cadbury creme eggs, the pastel cadbury eggs, juicy pear jelly bellies… hehe

7. Gigi says:

Heather the cupcakes were awesome and everyone loved the decorations! Thanks so much for making these for Sophia.

8. Joy says:

Cute cupcakes!! I love the pink+brown color combo.

It is difficult to choose just one favorite Easter candy, but I’d have to go with those mini chocolate eggs that come in a purple bag–think Hershey makes them? They are maybe my fav candy of all time–and given my candy addiction that is saying a lot:)

9. Jill says:

Your cupcake turned out really cute! I love the Reeces Peanut Butter eggs. They are the best!

10. Momcat says:

Gorgeous cupcakes!

Nice job with the Chloe pic – divert everyone’s attention from the random weekend chow.

Can’t wait to hear about more awesome NO food!

Favorite Easter candy – Cadbury Creme Eggs.

I’m a sucker for a Cadbury Creme Egg. Also, I like the giant carrot-shaped package of Reece’s Pieces.

Heather and I saw this funny easter candy a couple weeks ago. It was a chocolate bunny called “Too Tall Bunny”. Basically, it was a normal chocolate bunny, but they made the packaging too small, so his ears stuck out. I just found that to be the dumbest marketing ploy ever.

Too Tall Bunny = Too Small Packaging.

12. Heather says:

Mmmmmm I’m planning to make french onion soup tonight and I be those little Goureges would be AWSOME with it. WOW. I’m so distracted by Chloe’s cuteness that I can’t even see what you ate over the weekend. :) It worked!

My favorite used to be cadbury creme eggs but now I find them WAAAYYYY too sweet. I guess I’d have to say pastel M&Ms!

I LOVE PEEPS!!!! Girl we need to get together. Charlie witnessed a sugar high one year after I ate a few peeps – it doesn’t take much for me. He knows that they are my fav. and loves to tease me about how wacky they make me. I actually like when they are a little stale – I know weird. My sis does too. Okay must get Peeps – oh I better check to see if they are gluten free :(
    Can Brian decorate some cupcakes for my 30th b-day? Charlie got a kick out of his designs.