Happy Birthday Zach!

I’m going to start with tonight and work backwards… whoa, crazy. I know, I know.

Today was my little brother’s 25th birthday. We all (me, Bri, Zach, Laura and our grandparents) met over at my parents’ house for dinner to celebrate. Mom did her usual feed-an-army routine with TONS of steak, caprese salad, roasted asparagus and Paula Deen’s garlic cheese grits:

bdaydin

caprese

Burt-day boy:

zach

For dessert I brought over the creme brulee we made last night and just carmelized the top right before serving. My family seemed a little freaked out when I busted out the blow torch, but all was well.

creme

After class I was starving and scrounging around in the freezer for lunch fixings. Luckily I ran across some leftover turkey-wheatberry chili from a while back, along with some tortilla chip crumbles.

chili

Class today was hard. I did get a good grade on my hospitality supervision midterm (97!), but our pastry class seemed crazy long. We made 2 different types of ganache, 1 chocolate glaze, 2 dessert syrups, and then assembled and decorated 5 cakes.

Alhambra Cake- hazelnut sponge cake soaked in coffee-rum syrup and iced with chocolate ganache.

alhambra

Sacher Torte- dense chocolate cake soaked in kirsch syrup and filled with apricot jam, topped with ganache.

sacher

One of the other groups made these. Gorgeous.

sachal

The best tasting was the Peanut Butter Mousse Cake- devils food cake topped with peanut butter mousse and frozen, then iced with chocolate neoclassic buttercream and covered in chocolate glaze. My group member, Megan, piped on a b-day message for Zach so I could bring this one to dinner tonight. See anything wrong here??

pbcake

Yeah, he’s 25. How sad is that? Did I mention that I had to retake college math? And still got a D? Luckily we were able to scrape off the 6.

Last night Brian and I found ourselves on the cereal aisle at Albertson’s debating over which one to get. He voted Cinnamon Toast Crunch, I pulled for Lucky Charms… we settled on Honey Nut Cheerios. Voila breakfast, along with a bunch of blackberries and a (not pictured) giant orange.

cereal

Off to bed! Tomorrow’s my day off so I’m going to try to get a run in and maybe do some yardwork. Our yard is embarassing and I’m pretty sure the neighbors hate us.

What was your best/most random birthday party as a kid?

My best was probably 6th grade- it was just at my house and most of my class came. I remember lots of trampoline-jumping. The most random was 4th grade (I think) when we had my party at the dollhouse museum. I didn’t even really like dolls.

This entry was posted in April 2009 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Happy Birthday Zach!

Awesome looking cakes! My childhood birthdays all sucked:( But I’ve more than made up for that in recent years :) A little bit (a lot bit) of booze makes it all the better :D

I always loved Penny Whistle Park and White Rock Skate. Those parties were always so fun with the cupcakes and cokes. As I got older, slumber parties were the only way to go. Loads of pizza and movies. Plus, silly games my Mom would have us play and lots of talking on Swatch phones.

When it was just the family celebration, we always headed up to Mario and Alberto’s. Is that place still around?

My birthday is in June so I remember a lot of swimming parties. It also helped that the neighborhood pool was just up the street. As I got older, it was usually a sleepover but my mom would say “you may have ONE or TWO friends” and that’s it!!! Never understood that ….until I had kids.

4. klemons says:

No question my 5th grade year when I had my first and LAST big sleepover party. This girl threw up in her sleep, she didn’t even wake up – and she had eaten too many cheese balls so it was all orange. Also, we have each other makeovers with this “clown makeup” I had from Halloween, only it was very messy, oily, goopy makeup and it got everywhere. My Mom was none too pleased, and that was the end of that – from then on I had a 6 girl max for sleepovers.

Happy Birthday to your brother :) I like that birthday pose, haha.

6. Patty Barteau says:

HeatherBies!!! I’m sooooo excited that the Barteau clan got the leftover peanut butter chocolate mousse cake!!! Unfortunately, I gave up sweets for lent and I put it in the freezer until Sunday. I hope it can be frozen!! I was asking your mom today if she had any leftovers from that dinner!! Sounds awesome!!

7. heatherwlu says:

Patty- It should be fine frozen! We actually froze it overnight before frosting, and a few groups froze the final cake before serving… frozen pb mousse = good stuff. Let me know how it tastes!