Pug For Sale

When I was growing up, we had a one-eyed shih tzu named Punkin. She would go NUTS during thunderstorms. If one hit during the day, she would immediately go bury herself in the litterbox to the point where her entire face was caked in litter. At night, she would shake like a leaf and try to climb up to the highest point in my parents bed- apparently on top of my dad’s head. The best instance was when one particularly loud clap of thunder hit and she proceeded to pee all over dad’s head. We loved that story… apparently too much, though, because now karma has decided to bite me in the ass.

This morning around 6:30 we had a big thunderstorm roll through Dallas. It lasted until 11. Chloe started barking at about 6:31 and didn’t stop until I left for class three and a half hours later. Brian moved her from our bed into the living room and set up the baby gate, but she continued to bark even more frantically and then tried to pull down the gate. I threw in earplugs and could STILL hear her. Awesome. Oh, and somehow in the middle of all this she peed in the dining room.

Needless to say, I needed a calming breakfast. There was half a can of pumpkin left in the fridge and we were out of bananas, so pumpkin oats it was.

punkoats1

The best part about the pumpkin is that it really pumps up the oats (volume and FILLING) without adding a bunch of calories. I added it at the end of cooking, along with vanilla and cinnamon. For toppings: sliced strawberries, blackberries, honey, sliced almonds and a few PB Puffins.

In class we made crepes and soft caramels. The crepes were topped with a Suzette sauce, though they’re not technically Crepes Suzette.

crepes

Crepes are surprisingly fun to make. It took a little practice to get the heat just right, but we got on a roll pretty quickly. The caramels were still too soft to cut by the time we left, so I’ll have photos of those tomorrow.

A little excitement on the train ride home today. We were cruising along between Mockingbird and White Rock Station when the conductor SLAMMED on the brakes. Apparently a tree had fallen on the tracks. We ended up having to reverse direction, wait a looong time, switch tracks, and then eventually made our way to White Rock. Thank goodness I brought a book.

For lunch: veggie wrap (hummus, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, red peppers and dijon on Ezekiel tortilla) with leftover beans ‘n’ kale and couscous salad.

monlunch2

The rest of the afternoon was spent catching up on some school work. The semester ends in a couple of weeks and I have a LOT to finish. Oh, procrastination.

We met Joy for dinner at the newly re-opened La Calle Doce in Lakewood. This place burned about a year ago, and they just recently reopened. This place is such a favorite and we desperately missed it! The only other location is in Oak Cliff, and that’s kind of a trek for us.

I had the Coctel de Camarones:

shrimp

And a cup of the Sopa de Pescado (with lots of lime, just how I like it!):

caldo

Hope everyone had a happy Monday. We’re looking at more storms tonight, so wish us luck…

Do you have any weird/funny pet stories?

This entry was posted in April 2009 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Pug For Sale

1. Andrea says:

So sorry to hear about Chloe – poor thing! (and you guys too!) We don’t really get big thunderstorms here, so I don’t know if my boys would react the same way. We have pugs, so every day has a funny pet story!

I don’t know how funny this story is, but here it goes. A few months back, I bought some litter for Carlos. I didn’t realize until I got home that I bought a different kind. I changed the litter box early one morning before work and when M and I got home guess who left us a nice little present on the windowsill? Yep, Carlos. Point taken. We immediately bought new litter and all has been fine since.

We had a cat who brushed her teeth………on OUR toothbrushes. We couldn’t figure out why our toothbrushes were wearing out, til one day we caught him in the act… eww.
    Kids thought it was hysterical.
    ….still laughing at the Ken story…..sorry Ken.
    Have to try out that restaurant. I just love Lakewood.

4. What a great menu! :-)

I have many great pet stories. Here’s one of the better ones: I live on the 3rd floor of a condo building and my dog Lancelot decided he could no longer wait for anyone to get home so he unlocked the door and took himself to the park across the street! He had to go through about 4 doors and down some stairs and across a relatively busy street. I am NOT kidding. It is the doggy place to hang out and luckily my neighbour (with a dog) found him and brought him home. She said he was just hanging out, chilling with the other dogs! So yes, my doggy took himself for a walk. Thank God he has never tried that again!

5. Momcat says:

Weird/funny pet story: With 4 cats, there are many, but I think the best one is a case of ‘hysterical paralysis.’ Several years ago, we returned from a two-week vacation. Our Blackie greeted us at the door, then collapsed on the dining room floor and wouldn’t move. We rushed her to the Emergency Vet Clinic, and she remained limp in the waiting room. In the exam room, she JUMPED onto the table and looked at us as if to say, “That’ll teach you to leave me!” We paid $60 to be told that we had a perfectly healthy little black cat!

Poor Chloe! Consider asking your vet about using Benadryl. Our vet recommended this to us for a ‘hyper-dog’ problem. It will probably make her sleepy, and you can all get some rest.

6. kathy says:

Punkin sounds like our elderly dachsund/chihuahua mix, Jellybean! She used to do the same thing (sans peeing on the head!) during t’storms, all the while panting her rotten tuna breath on us. We tried the canine Valium, which only made her pace around our bed in a drunken stupor …. never did make her sleep! Thankfully, she doesn’t do that so much anymore, probably because she’s so deaf she doesn’t even know it’s storming out!

7. Patty Barteau says:

I hate to say this but, one of my favorite pet stories involves Punkin….your dog. She was an incredible “recycler”. She and I had an enormous fight over her “poop” one day. She was screaming at me and I was screaming at her. I then had a grown up moment when I thought, “I hope no one is watching me and this tiny thing in a screaming match”. I loved sweet Punkin but, she did have an attitude!!!!!!!!!!!