Red Beans and Rice Didn't Miss Her

I’ve been thinking more and more lately about going vegetarian again, at least for a little while. A trial period if you will. I did it for several years and don’t remember it being that hard. The only thing I really hated about it was feeling like a burden- when I went to someone’s house for dinner, or to a wedding, or on holidays. That type of thing. So we’ll see… I’m going to ruminate on this a little bit more.

Today I managed to get out of bed and eat breakfast before Jack woke up! Lately he’s been for at least 1-2 feedings during the night (growth spurt?), which stinks- but that does mean that he tends to sleep a lot later in the mornings.

We were in desperate need of groceries, but breakfast was taken care of thanks to my giant canister of oats and my endless supply of almost-empty nut butter jars:

Oats in a jar- this one is 1/2 c oats, 1/2 c skim milk, 1/2 c water, 1/2 sliced banana zapped in the microwave for 3 minutes and topped with vanilla, cinnamon and raisins.

I’ve been driving around with an expired inspection sticker for a couple of weeks, so Jack and I took care of that today. But first we stopped off at my parents’ house to visit with my mom and eat lunch.

Smoked turkey sandwich, rice crackers, spinach dip and some leftover chicken salad.

I finally figured out a meal plan for the week, so we hit up Newflower for groceries (blackberries are $0.88!) and then headed home so Jack could nap and I could make dinner. Tonight’s menu featured the Red Beans & Rice Jumble-Aya from Eat Drink and Be Vegan:

A fast, easy and CHEAP dish to make. I used brown basmati rice, which took a little longer to cook.

And a big salad with baby lettuces, tomatoes, hearts of palm, sliced almonds and Annie’s Woodstock.

As promised… my baby is 5 months old!!!!!! Look at how chubby he’s getting.

Fail.

It’s all good…

Oh, and this is from tonight.

I have a feeling both pug and baby would love it if we let them share the crib at night. Jack worships Chloe, and she just wants a warm body to snuggle against. Win-win.

Alright, I’ve got over 100 pages of my book left to read before book club on Wednesday… aaaaand I still haven’t showered today. So I better get on both of those asap.

- SURVEY -

Do you let your pets sleep in your bed?

Unfortunately. Chloe cuddles and eventually pushes me to the very edge of the bed every single night, and the cat wanders into our room sometime during the night and sleeps at our feet. It’s very crowded.

This entry was posted in May 2010 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Red Beans and Rice Didn't Miss Her

We have an 80 lb. retriever that sleeps with us along with a cat. At least our dog stays at the end of the bed. Our cat nuzzles right up next to my head. At some point, I want a custom bed. Something like a double king for us all to fit in with ease and comfort. Oh how that would be nice!!

2. Kathy says:

Sadly, yes, our pets sleep with us … one of those things you just don’t want to get started, kinda like letting your kid climb in bed with you during the night. Wasn’t such a problem with the tiny dachsund/chihuahua mix or the standard dachsund (although he’s pretty heavy and hot) but the Jack Russell terrior/blue heeler mix pretty much owns the bed and just lets me share his side. Pretty frustrating sometimes … But we loves our pups.

Happy Jack … Just too cute!! Growing so fast!

• Sarah W. says:

I really need to make Jumble-Aya – I wonder if I have all the ingreds? hmmmmmmmmm

When we got our cats, hubby didnt want to let them into the room, so kept our bedroom door shut. Eventually he broke down :) one cat never sleeps on our bed – he’s uisually in the hallway or on the floor somewhere (WEIRD!)

The other one likes to walk all over us and she usually finds a nice spot in between my legs (when I’m on my stomach) and on the rare occassion she is cold, she will force herself UNDER the covers and then nestle up in the curve of my body if I happen to be on my side.

the most annoying thing is being walked on all over in the morning b/c they are hungry for breakfast and i’m taking too long waking up (like on weekends) hehehe!

3. Jenna says:

Omg Jack is tooo cute! Can I be his babysitter?! Ha
    Jenna

4. Runeatrepeat says:

You win the prize for “Blog title with lyrics of a song written about me”.
    I swear it’s true.

5. My dad loves red beans and rice, but I have never seen my mom fix it. Yours looks so good, maybe I could try a version like it sometime.

Such a cute picture of Chole and Jack! Jack looks thrilled that she is in the crib. too cute!
    Yes, our cat sleeps with us. She sleeps right.next.to.you.

7. Jocelyn says:

theheheeh…GREAT pictures. Love the pug and baby pic :)

When we had our doggy..we always let her sleep in the bed :)