Temper Temper

So can anyone recommend a good parenting book for toddlers? In the past few days, Jack has started throwing full on TANTRUMS. Like arching his back, throwing himself on the ground, hitting me… and today’s big one took place at Buy Buy Baby. I literally had him under one arm like a football while I tried to check out and get the hell out of there. He’s also doing bad things like ramming Chloe with his push toy and beating on the windows (to the point where I’m afraid he’s going to break through the glass), and when I try to be all Scary Mommy and say “NO! We do NOT do that!!”… he just laughs and keeps doing it. I am so glaringly ineffective.

Anyway.

We were all set to have these tonight:

But then Zach called to see if we wanted to meet them for dinner, and we never turn down dinner with fun Uncle Zach & Aunt Lulu. So you’ll get the full scoop on that mystery dish tomorrow night.

We met them for dinner at Flying Fish in Preston Center. My dad was home asleep with a stomach virus, so my mom ended up coming too. She ordered the ceviche for everyone to share:

My brother ordered a big platter of steamed mudbugs. When Zach held one of the crawfish up in front of Jack, he just smiled and said, “HI!” to it, like it was his new best friend. Aww. (Gross.)

I had the tilapia veracruz.

We’re going to the zoo tomorrow, so I need to pack lunches, figure out outfits with this crazy weather and assemble the diaper bag. Big day!

This entry was posted in March 2011 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Temper Temper

1. kira says:

Poor Heather! I call them temper tampers. Not bad that Jack is just NOW doing this, he’s lasted a long time. Luna has already done the throwing herself on the floor and arching her back thing and she is not quite 12 months yet! All babies do this unfortunately, but my favorite book of all time is How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk. I have a post on it believe it or not here: http://www.thecounselormom.com/best-book-ever/

But for babies, I think it’s just they don’t have the words yet and get frustrated super easy- or when they are tired, hungry or bored :) And they just love the word, “no” huh?

2. Julie says:

Oh, friend. It is going to get A LOT worse. But—— at least it will eventually go away… and come back… and then go away again. And at least the cuddling never really goes away in the tantrum phase. If you find an awesome toddler book out there— let me know. Gabe’s mini melts seemed a lot more aggressive then Molly’s but shorter lived. Does that make any sense? Molly’s were just high drama. Who am I kidding… they still are.

Oh man…we go through this too. It’s terrible. I totally feel your pain. Distraction is what I go to for the most part, but it’s not like it works half of the time.

4. Steph says:

Yikes! I am NOT looking forward to the phase of tantrums. My son is 11 months and I am just starting to see his stubborn tantrum side coming out. I’m scared!

5. Stacy says:

Yep, it will get worse. Distraction is good for this age. Mine’s almost 2.5 so that doesn’t work as well as it use to. Remember that he doesn’t have the words yet for what he wants to say or express. The book I like is The Happiest Toddler on the Block. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553384422
    Hang it there.

6. Mary Anne says:

Ei yi yi, I am looking for a good book too! I keep hearing a lot of positive things about the Love and Logic approach, which I believe you can begin using with toddlers. I requested this book from the library – Parenting with love and logic: teaching children responsibility – but haven’t gotten it yet…I am hoping it prepares me to deal with the same issues you are having with Jack!!