Jack and I had a pretty awesome day today. Woke up late, had a leisurely breakfast (Jack’s breakfast is ALWAYS leisurely… and like 8 courses) then headed to the Arboretum to play with friends. We’ve been neglecting our membership lately, between rain and illness and just being pregnant and lazy, which is just sad because it’s absolutely gorgeous out there right now.
We grabbed sandwiches on the way home and I had the genius idea for a backyard picnic. I’m being sarcastic, by the way- Jack spent the entire time refusing to eat and climbing in bushes…
While I spent the meal stiff-arming Chloe to get her out of our food.
Dinner tonight was SO GOOD. I planned on making bean soup on Monday, but then got that weird migraine thing so the beans soaked for 2 days instead of one and started to smell funky. Out they went. Instead I made the Eat Live Run recipe for Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Beans. I used to make this all the time, but then the recipe disappeared offline and I think I cried a little. But now it’s back!
Easy and healthy- sauteed onions, garlic, kale, cannellini beans, BBQ sauce, dijon mustard, cider vinegar. I could seriously eat bowl after bowl of this, especially with cornbread.
Speaking of, I modified a cornbread recipe I found online to make it a leeeeetle healthier. It’s really sweet and cakey, which to me is the best kind of cornbread for dipping in beans (a.k.a., my “hillbilly bruschetta” as Brian so nicely called it tonight) or chili. None of that crumbly, dry crap.
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used whole milk)
- 1 cup fat free plain yogurt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 375. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, milk and yogurt and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt and sugar. Whisk in eggs, oil and cornmeal mixture and combine until smooth (I used both the whisk and a spoon for this).
3. Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
So there’s a nice little southern meal for y’all.