Is anyone else in major clean-out mode right now?? It’s midnight and we’re taking down Christmas decorations because I can’t stand to look at them for one more minute. Between adding another person to our family this year (a small person who requires a LOT of stuff) and unpacking all of the kids’ Christmas gear, it feels like the walls are closing in on our tiny house. DECLUTTER is resolution #1 for this year.
I remember thinking that it was never going to get cold, given that it was like 80 degrees a few days before Christmas. But now it’s definitely chilly and they’re predicting snow flurries overnight. Is there a better reason to make a big pot of soup??
I basically used this recipe for Turkey Taco Soup that I found on Pinterest, but I knew that Jack wouldn’t touch it if it was too spicy… so I made a few changes to make it more kid-friendly.
Turkey Taco Soup
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 15oz can corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can fat-free refried beans
- 8oz tomato sauce
- 1 10oz can MILD Ro-Tel
- 1 packet Ranch dressing mix
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add ground turkey and cook through.
2. Add onion and bell pepper to turkey and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, avocado, green onions, etc. We had ours with tortilla chips, too.
GREAT, easy weeknight dinner! And we have leftovers, for when we get snowed in ya know…
Oh! OH! And finally, I give you the progression of Jack entertainment during dinner:
Have a great weekend!