Isla’s doing much better today! Thanks for all of the calls and texts. This morning she woke up (actually, I had to wake her up at TEN) fever-free, but her eye was still a little swollen. I managed to get her in to our awesome pediatrician this afternoon and her best guess was that the fever was from a virus and the swollen eye was due to some kind of insect bite. It makes sense because we were outdoors a lot this weekend. I had gotten online and self-diagnosed last night, which is never a good idea. Anyway, I’m just glad that she seems to be back to her wild & crazy self.
Tonight I made dinner in the crock pot and Brian actually went back for seconds, which pretty much never happens (for HIM… for me it’s a nightly occurrence). A good chicken chicken cheese steak is really hard to find, apparently. There was a little dive-y restaurant in our tiny VA college town that served great cheese steaks. The irony is that the guy who ran it was from our neighborhood here in Dallas.
Then we had a cheese steak restaurant open up a few miles from us when I was pregnant with Isla. We decided to give it a try one day and it was seriously the foulest thing I’ve ever eaten. It’s probably the only meal I didn’t finish when I was preggo (the restaurant has shut down since).
Tonight I attempted a chicken cheese steak recipe in the crock pot. You can’t really get the authentic cheese steak “texture” in the slow cooker, but the flavor was great. I ended up adding a lot of seasoning (salt, pepper, soy sauce and Worcestershire) after the chicken finished cooking. It was pretty imprecise, so just know that if the “juice” seems bland, feel free to spice it up as you see fit.
How good does that look?? I want another one right now.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cheese Steak Sandwiches
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used an 8oz can, but you can use fresh)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into slices
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 Tbs Worcestershire
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- Whole wheat hoagie buns
- Provolone slices
- To taste: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt
1. In slow cooker, layer butter, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Nestle chicken slices on top.
2. In a bowl, whisk together wine, Worcestershire, soy sauce and spices. Pour over chicken and vegetables and cook on high for 4 hours. Taste chicken and season as needed.
3. Serve chicken mixture on hoagie rolls. Top with provolone (melt over the chicken either in the microwave or under the broiler).
And lots and lots of leftovers, too… woohoo!