Whole 30 Shopping List

Hey guys! Okay, by popular demand I’ve compiled a Whole 30 grocery list for the stores that I’ve found to have the most Whole 30 compliant options. I’ve read a LOT of labels so hopefully this will save you some time and headache. Everything listed here is dairy-free, soy-free, grain-free, no legumes, no alcohol, no processed food. Also, I’ve finally installed a print-friendly option at the bottom of my posts. To see it you have to actually click on the post itself and scroll to the bottom (in other words, click on the title of this post and then scroll down rather than just visiting heatherbakes.com). Here goes…

COSTCO

• Avocado oil
  • Coconut oil
  • Ghee
  • Kirkland Signature organic chicken stock
  • Kirkland Signature marinara sauce
  • Himalayan pink salt (giant grinder)
  • Cinnamon (for coffee and sprinkling on apple slices)
  • Organic diced tomatoes
  • Hearts of palm
  • Harold’s dill pickles
  • La Croix
  • Wonderful pistachios (individual packs)
  • Kirkland Signature canned salmon
  • Organic eggs
  • Organic ground beef
  • Organic chicken breasts and thighs
  • Aidell’s chicken apple sausage
  • Fresh salmon filets
  • Goodfoods individual guacamole cups
  • Frozen cherries
  • Avocados
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Bagged greens
  • Mini peppers
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Berries
  • Mango slices
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Diced butternut squash
  • Organic broccoli (fresh)
  • Cauliflower florets (fresh)

Trader Joe’s

• Coconut oil (jarred)
  • Vinegar- apple cider and balsamic
  • Olive tapenade
  • Ghee
  • Raw cashews
  • Raw almonds
  • 21 Seasoning Salute
  • Salsa verde
  • Almond butter- love the crunchy and the salted creamy
  • Larabars
  • Frozen turkey burgers
  • Frozen chile lime chicken burgers
  • Frozen haricot verts
  • Frozen shrimp
  • Spicy Italian chicken sausage
  • Garlic herb chicken sausage
  • Grass fed organic ground beef
  • Cruciferous crunch mix
  • Peeled garlic cloves
  • Healthy 8 veggie mix
  • Stir fry veggies
  • Cremini mushrooms
  • Broccoli slaw
  • Shredded brussels sprouts
  • Zucchini
  • Bagged lemons and limes
  • Shredded carrots

Whole Foods/Central Market

• Bubbie’s sauerkraut (refrigerated section)
  • Bubbie’s dill relish
  • Tessemae’s salad dressings
  • Canned coconut milk (full fat- great for coffee)
  • Annie’s dijon mustard (no wine)
  • Coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative)
  • Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
  • Applegate organic beef and organic turkey hot dogs
  • Applegate organic cocktail pork franks
  • Applegate pepperoni
  • Applegate roast beef
  • Central Market in-house roasted deli turkey (I think WF does this too)
  • Unsweetened coconut flakes
  • Unsweetened shredded coconut (for making coconut butter)
  • Rick’s Pick’s The People’s Pickle
  • Whole Foods or HEB brand unsweetened almond milk (no carrageenan)

Whew… if you think of anything I’m forgetting, let me know!! Hope that helps and keep me posted if you decide to take the plunge!

This entry was posted in May 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Whole 30 Shopping List

1. Joanna says:

Thank you! Dan printed this out for the dudes in his office that are about to start the Whole30 too! So helpful! Question – what did your hubby eat for lunch at work? This seems a bit more tricky as it needs to be prepared beforehand.

• heatherwlu says:

Brian actually goes out for lunch pretty much every day. I think he’s had good luck with salads and BBQ joints (meat and veggies). As far as bringing a lunch from home, I think the key is to make extra food at dinner the night before and then bring leftovers for lunch the next day. I also do a lot of deli meat wrapped around avocado slices, chicken sausage, sliced veggies with guac, apples with nut butter. I also LOVE making avocado-chicken salad (w/ lots of lime juice) and then stuffing it into mini sweet peppers.

• Brian says:

Joanna,

Heather is right. I eat out a lot. Just need to get away from my desk during lunch. The biggest obstacles are planning and embarrassment. For planning, if I know I will meet someone at a restaurant, I call ahead to find out what oils they cook in, I read the online menu for ingredients ahead of time, and I’ll snack in advance if it will be tough to find a filling meal at the restaurant. Regarding embarrassment, it is just important to get over feeling embarrassed about asking to remove ingredients, change dressings, ask questions, etc. Guys have a big problem with this. By facing it, I now have no problem ordering a salad with “no cheese and no croutons, and do you have just olive oil and vinegar I can use for dressing?” Taking a burger off its bun required some courage the first time. People tend to ask you about your diet (since it is obvious that you are on one), and I got much more comfortable talking about it.

As for foods, Heather is right. I did BBQ (meat and veggies only – no sauce or sub mustard for sauce), burgers with no buns, salads, grilled meats with veggies, and often subbed in fruit for whatever standard side item. I’m not sure that I brought my lunch 1 day during the Whole 30 period.

2. Joanna Brock says:

Thanks guys! This is really useful stuff – definitely will be passing it on to the hubby! I usually have no qualms being a pain with special orders. Dan though? Thinking this advice may help…aaand help him not want to kill me when I do it, lol!

3. MaryAnna says:

Awesome list!! Just be careful – the coconut oil spray from Trader Joes has soy in it :-/

4. Kathy says:

The coconut oil spray from TJ’s contain soy. Makes me leery to rely on this list, now :(

• heatherwlu says:

Sorry Kathy! I’ll remove it- someone did mention that in the comments a while back and I forgot to take it off. I promise that I did read all of the labels though! That one somehow slipped by.

• Marge says:

‘leery” really? … how about grateful?
      You will never achieve health with blame and anger in your heart.
      Try not to be a hostile dismissive victim. Some people look for any excuse not
      to take in the overall picture/message. These lists are great but guess what? you can’t blame or “rely” on anybody but yourself for what you put in your shopping cart!

5. Amber says:

Is the dextrose in the applegate pepperoni appropriate with whole30? Because I love it…

• heatherwlu says:

Ugh, no- it does contain a trace amount of dextrose, which is not whole 30 approved. However I did eat it every once in a while on whole 30. The pepperoni says that it contains 0 grams of sugar so I figured that whatever dextrose it contained was negligible.

6. Lydia says:

can I ask how much this list costs?

• heatherwlu says:

The whole list? Not sure how much the combined total would be, but I can guesstimate on individual prices if you’re wondering about specific items!

7. Jill says:

you found tessemae’s and coconut aminos at central market? I have looked other places and no go yet.

• heatherwlu says:

I’ve only found Tessemae’s at Whole Foods and Tom Thumb around here. As for the coconut aminos, definitely Whole Foods… I don’t think I’ve ever seen them at Central Market but could be wrong.

• Lauren says:

They are at CM just ask a foodie if you can’t find something they know everything. As far as cost goes you have to determine your budget. Most everyday eating can be adjusted to Whole 30 by adjusting ingredients. You don’t have eat all grass fed meats or all organic. Use the dirty dozen for your organic fruits and veggies also by in season because that’s cheaper than strawberries etc shipped in from Peru or somewhere else. SAMs club also has lots of these things.

8. Holly says:

Larabars are whole 30 compliant???

• heatherwlu says:

Some of them! Just check the ingredient list to make sure that they don’t include added sugar or peanuts. I know that the Cherry Pie flavor is compliant. Obviously the PB Chocolate Chip is not (sadly).

9. KatieTo says:

BJ’s Wholesale carries several Applegate options. The price is better then other places and most of the meats come divided into 2 packs so I freeze one. Just FYI in case anyone else has access to a BJ’s.

• heatherwlu says:

I wish we had BJ’s Wholesale in TX :( Just Sam’s & Costco here

• Sharon says:

Can you tell me what you get at BJ’s that is Whole30 compliant? I’m just starting out on this journey! Thanks!

• heatherwlu says:

Sharon- I wish I could but we don’t have BJ’s a Wholesale here in TX :( If it’s anything like Costco/Sam’s, my guess is that it’s a good place for meat, produce, spices and things like almond and coconut butter

10. julie k says:

*sigh* I went into Trader Joe’s with my list so I can get this ball rolling and my brain just stopped working. 1. Are there any other TJ sausages that are compliant? 2. The olive tapenade, did you get it from the fridge section or off the shelf? Thanks :)

• heatherwlu says:

I know that the spicy Italian chicken sausage is compliant, too. Not sure about any of the other flavors. And I’m 99% sure the tapenade was from the refrigerated section (it’s been a while but I’m pretty sure)!

11. Brittany says:

This list is great. I wish you had recipes to go along with it lol.

• heatherwlu says:

Thanks! If you search Whole 30 on the sidebar, you can see all of my whole 30 posts (some with recipes)

12. Sherriner says:

They now have Tesserae’s dressing at Shop Rite!!! Yay!! Its a limited selection.

13. Gary says:

The Annie’s Dijon mustard at Whole Foods has cane sugar in it. However, their 365 Everyday Value organic Dijon mustard is compliant – only vinegar, water, mustard seed, sea salt, and organic spices.