Ahh, y’all- I’m sorry I’ve been such a bad blogger. This week has been insane. I spent half the day yesterday chaperoning Isla’s class field trip to the fire station and then hosted book club last night. We leave Saturday for Nashville for Brian’s brother’s wedding, so I’ve been scrambling to get the kids ready since they’re in the wedding- haircuts, outfits, flower girl dress alterations, communicating with their teachers since they’ll be out on Monday (which, naturally, is the first day of standardized testing). Also, my dad had knee surgery on Tuesday and is having a tough recovery, and my poor mom has been handling everything on her own. I think we all need a vacation. Or at least a long nap.
October book club is my FAVORITE and I’ve hosted this month for the past I don’t know how many years. October is my jam. This time I served my mom’s Tex-Mex lasagna (I’ll put the recipe at the bottom- it’s soooo good), kale salad, and caramel apple sangria. I also love that it gives me an excuse to buy the fall M&M’s, ha. And of course the big jar of candy corn & salted peanuts (TRY IT).
I snapped a few pics before everyone showed up, but I forgot to get a photo of book club OR the lasagna. We were having too much fun… I literally did not go to bed until 1am. Oh and our book this month was The Couple Next Door. A quick, creepy read.
Halloween candy = necessary.
That bottle on the right is my new favorite prosecco. It’s called Cecelia B. Vino Spumante Rose and it’s around $8 at Trader Joe’s.
And then a bunch of fall decor…
As if I need more, yet my collection just seems to grow by the year. Those fireplace lights are actually mason jars with plastic spiders and a flickering orange flame (Target). I’m obsessed. Also Dollar Tree was kind of killing it with the Halloween decor this year. I got a couple of those hanging skeletons (like the one on the fiddle leaf) and some creepy portraits that stick to mirrors. Though Jack has pointed out on more than one occasion that, “Mom, none of these decorations are ACTUALLY scary.” Ugh, seven year olds are a tough crowd.
OK as promised, here’s the lasagna recipe. It’s a little time consuming (I cooked the chicken in the crock pot the day before) but worth it:
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 15 oz can corn, drained
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 10 oz can Ro-tel, drained
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 16 oz sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 6 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 8 oz shredded monterrey jack cheese
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
2. In a dutch oven, combine chicken and next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. With a mixer, combine sour cream and cream cheese until smooth.
4. Spoon 1/3 of chicken mixture into bottom of pan. Top with 3 uncooked lasagna noodles. Spread half of sour cream mixture over noodles. Top with half of the cheese. Repeat layers (using the rest of the chicken mixture on the next layer).
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting.
Have a great weekend!