Just Call Me Gluey McCrafterson

Busy weekend = LONG POST!

First up: Tonight’s Dinner.

We headed up to the lakehouse this weekend, and stopped off at a produce stand on the highway for some home-grown okra. I’ve only had okra prepared two ways (other than gumbo): fried, and stewed with tomatoes. The tomato version is my fave… and luckily I found this Alton Brown recipe on foodnetwork.com. Super easy! I substituted ground coriander for the cardamom and sliced the okra into 1/2 inch pieces (instead of halving lengthwise):

We got a coupon in the mail for $10 off seafood at Central Market, so we headed there (and were reminded why we nevereverEVER visit that place on Sundays- CRAZY). They always have great recipes at the seafood counter, and we settled on Seared Coho Salmon with Horseradish Cream Sauce. Brian grilled the salmon AND prepared the sauce- a mixture of plain yogurt, horseradish, lemon juice and dill. It was delicious and definitely cleared the sinuses! Here’s my plate, along with a serving of my mom’s homemade potato salad:

And a glass of this Vinho Verde- dry, sparkly, refreshing and CHEAP (like $6!):

While we were at the lake, we made a trip to Canton. It’s a small town in East TX that features a HUUUUGE flea market around the first Monday of every month. My Mom and I love it; my Dad and Brian do not. But they were really good sports despite the (100+ degree) heat. I found a couple of cute things.

First, this apron- which Chloe is graciously helping me model:

And this tiny print, which is going to be hung in our shabby chic-ish guest bathroom:

While in Canton, I kept seeing these cute decoupaged windows and remembered that we had two old windows just sitting in our garage!

Coincidentally, an awesome new paper store, Paper Source, just opened in our mall and they have a huge wall of paper. I’d visited their location in Georgetown before and could easily spend hours in this store. We headed there today and picked out coordinating sheets of paper- brown and blue prints for the kitchen/den and pink, green and brown for the guest room. I just cut alternating sheets to fit the window panes and then used double-stick tape to affix the paper to the panes. This was a really easy project that took almost no time… and it’s easy to swap out the paper if we get tired of it.

Hanging in the kitchen- a brown damask pattern and a blue japanese cherry blossom print:

Closer of the cherry blossoms, since they’re kind of hard to make out:

For the guest room (soon to be hung)- a graphic pink & green print along with a vintage-y floral:

And since Brian was being so handy hanging stuff, I sweet talked him into putting this one (from World Market!) up in the laundry room, right above the washer & dryer:

Whew! That took a while… off to bed, guys.  Hope everyone had a fun weekend!

This entry was posted in August 2008 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Just Call Me Gluey McCrafterson

I’ve never had okra – can you give me a reference or comparison for what it’s like?

You are crafty! Beautiful work!

- Heather

2. heatherwlu says:

Hangry Heather- Okra is kind of hard to describe. The texture/taste is sort of like cooked peppers, but with edible seeds. It can have kind of a sliminess which puts some people off, but I like it! Sorry, that makes it sound awful…

That is such a great idea for windows! I love it… Oh, and Paper Source = happiness.

4. Molly says:

i love first mondays! i love going to the lake- we spend most weekends out on cedar creek. i picked up some great peaches and tomatoes at the veg stand, but now i wish i’d gotten some okra too! glad y’all had a fun, and productive, weekend!

5. klemons says:

Heather, I LOVE YOUR craft window, it puts me in the crafting mood for sure. I think I only like Okra fried though, it’s too mushy – same reason I hate tomatoes! And I love your apron, totally cute, I actually wear mine periodically, they are fun.

6. Ange C. says:

Your long posts are always fun to read; especially on a monday morning. Looks like you had a fun and crafty weekend. ;)
    So I’ve noticed all your comments and how awesome that more people are reading your blog! Yay for you!
    And…i bought some of the Alexia fries (realizing I was totally doing so b/c of you posting them on your blog) and wondered what ya’ll’s fave ones are. There were lots of options. How cool you can just bake them frozen. EZ breezy.

7. Quinn says:

Love your craftiness. Makes me want to go out and buy some windows!

I love the new picture and what an awesome idea for the old windows. You & Chloe look cute!

9. heatherwlu says:

Molly- We were at Cedar Creek, too! My parents have a house there, near Mabank (I have no idea how to describe what part of the lake it’s on… probably because I read magazines the entire ride there)

Ange- Thanks! I know- it’s really kind of exploded lately. I LOVE reading all of the comments. My fave alexia fries are just the plain sea salted julienne kind. The ones most like McDonald’s fries :) I tried the oven reds and they were just meh. Plus you get a ton per serving with the juliennes.

10. Cindy Oates says:

Chloe – you are still beautiful! Hi Heather!