I am very slow.

So you know how I was going to do speedwork this morning? 8 x 400 meters? Well, it went a little like this:

• Lap 1: I am the fastest girl alive. I laugh in the face of training… look at me go!
  • Lap 2: Okay, those high schoolers just passed me. And that old lady. It’s cool. Nothing wrong with the bronze!
  • Lap 3: 400 meters is a LONG way. Like the whole way around the track…
  • Lap 4: Is there really a difference between sprinting and running? No. No, there isn’t.
  • Laps 5: Brisk jog.
  • Lap 6: More of a gallop.
  • Lap 7: Power walk.
  • Lap 8: Crawling?

So yeah, that was fun. Let’s just say it’s a good thing that we have 4 months to train.

Today we had a little mother/daughter day. I went for a walk with my mom after the beating speed workout, then we met my dad for lunch at a restaurant I’ve been wanting to try: Cliff Cafe. Remember the up-and-coming area of South Dallas I’ve talked about in previous posts? Oak Cliff? Well, there’s a really awesome restored motor lodge in that area called The Hotel Belmont, and it has a sweet view of downtown Dallas. We occasionally have drinks here and check out the city.

About a year ago the Belmont opened the Cliff Cafe, right next door to the hotel. So we picked my dad up from work and headed South to the Cafe.

I started with chicken noodle soup. Loved the giant noodles and shredded chicken, although it did sneakily contain bacon (which I don’t really eat):

For my entree- more portabellas! Grilled portabella sandwich on ciabatta with tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella and balsamic. Great sandwich!

My Dad had the Blue Plate Special- brisket with mashed potatoes and a biscuit. He really wanted me to post a picture on the blog…

Another cool feature? The “green” toilet. It had two flush options: BIG flush and little flush. Too many options! Sorry, I didn’t get a picture.

So yeah, good lunch… but I still want to try this place for dinner. The lunch menu was a little small, plus I think the contemporary decor would look really cool at night

Finally, count your blessings if you’re not in TX right now. Check out what the car thermometer read today:

Craaaazy.

This entry was posted in August 2008 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to I am very slow.

1. Quinn says:

That sandwich looks great. Add tomato and mozz to anything and I’m sold.

2. Cndy Oates says:

Big flush? ALL toilets need this option!

That is way too hot!! Oh man, I don’t think I could survive in Dallas.

Thanks for your suggestions and tips on Charlottesville – I will definitely check out Monitcello (as I am a huge nerd also..)

4. sgreyce says:

It was too hot there! I am glad I am not in Dallas! The food looks fab!

Ah, and you’re tagged because I really like your blog! See my blog for details.

5. Ange C. says:

Your lap descriptions are hysterical!

And 122?! No way…more like only 98 yesterday! Weird….was that the temp IN your car?! Dangerous.
    Cool info on that hotel belmont….oak cliff is such a new, fun area to explore. Has that ‘i’m not in dallas feeling.’ Kinda.

Wow, It is so cold here in MA today, I am actually wearing jeans. I hate when restaurants but bacon in things and leave it out in the menu description. I to avoid bacon – to fatty & salty. So nice that you got to spend time with your mom & dad. Have a great day, try to keep cool.

7. klemons says:

Tell Kenneth I said HI and that I miss getting early morning phone calls from him to say that he is stuck in traffic and is running late for work:(

Oh and tell Gina I said WHAT’S UP!

Love the lap play by play!

That temperature is very reasonable. What are you talking about? :)

- Heather

9. Molly says:

Cliff Cafe is really great for dinner- I had the Portobello “Steak” with glazed carrots and sweet potatoes on the side, and scarfed it all. My friends all had the pork chops and loved em, as well as some mac n’ cheese, which I sadly didn’t get to taste but it looked realllly good. It gets even better when you head over to the Belmont Hotel bar afterwards and sip on a Belmontini (strong) and look at the best view of the Dallas skyline around. That’s my most memorable summer evening to date